Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Not at all as I planned Part 2


Ok so when I had a baby this was my plan: 

1. Natural Labor
2. No Paci
3. Breast Feed until about 6 months
4. Stay at home for the first year at least 


So what had happened was:


No natural labor 
Due to my small hips and giant child (who really isn't that giant :)) I was forced to have a c section. 

NO paci!
The paci thing was thrown out the window the first night in the hospital HA! But like my friend Taylor says "It's easier to take a paci away than to wean them off their thumb"

Breast Feed until about 6 months
 I have a confession. I have switched to formula. Well right now I am sort of doing half and half but I am weaning her off breast milk. 

Here is why:

Ainsley has been spitting up an a lot. After every feeding she spits up. She doesn't just spit up a little. She spits up a lot of milk. So when we went in this Wednesday for her check up she had gained NO weight! She weighed 9.9 when she was born. She left the hospital at 9.1. And then at her first check up she was 8.14. Wednesday when they weighed her she was 8.15. The thing is that I really started to feel like I was not producing enough milk. After every feeding (which she would feed for an hour) she was still hungry. Then she would spit up. So basically she was barely getting anything. 

Anyways, so I started to pump and mix in formula with breast milk and she seemed to do better. Well then I gave her a bottle of just formula and she did fine. She didn't spit up!  

 Well I fed breast milk to Ainsley this morning and she projectiled like a foot away! So we went to the doctor again today, because not only is she projectiling, she is making choking sounds in her sleep. 

Doctor says she has reflux and he prescribed medicine for her. He also said that she may be sensitive to the lactose in the breast milk so that I should try Similac Sensitive. So basically I started giving her this formula and she is doing much better. 

However, I felt like like a horrible mom. I talked to someone about this and she said to do what is best for me and my baby. That I should do what God tells me to. 

Sadly I am and was more concerned with what some from the church would say about me not breast feeding anymore. Because I know so many do it and promote it. Which I promote it too, but just feel that it is best for Ainsley that I dont breast feed her anymore. In two days she has already gained a couple ounces, she now weighs 9.3 ever since I started giving her formula. 

Anyways, so sorry if some feel that this is a wrong choice but I just had to make this decision. 


Staying at home for the first year
I am still trying to work on this one. I am hoping that if I can get Etsy up and running and get it going well that Robbie wont make me go to work. But as of now he says we need a second income and I am struggling so hard with the idea of it. I really don't want to do it! I want to stay home with my baby for her first year. I don't want to miss anything. I also want to take care of our house, I like being a stay at home wife. However, Robbie feels differently. Anyways, still working on this one. 

Also pray for my Etsy shop Life's Little Details. I am going to try to get back to sewing this week. I am excited about this and hoping that can figure out how to work from home and take care of my child! :) I'm still trying to get a daily routine going. 




3 comments:

  1. I will pray that your husband will see what an amazing job you are doing at home and feel that God has you there for a very important reason. You would be amazed at how much you can re work your budget to make it one income friendly. I can't imagine not being home with my sweet little ones. Also I will pray for your Etsy store to prosper!

    Ok.... so here is the deal. Don't let people make you feel like you are a bad mom just because you don't breastfeed. I tried with my two and it just was HORRIBLE. Neither one of them cared to nurse AT ALL. I tried to pump for Lula Mae (determined to use my milk for her) and it just made her sick. Formula did not. You do what works for your baby. Both of mine are bottle feed babies and I don't feel like they are any less attached to me, or are unloved or anything simply because I did not nurse. It really isn't for everyone.... contrary to most peoples opinions. Jayce also is on medication for his reflux. He was diagnosed young too. The choking and grunting all night is torture to listen too :-( That medication was the best thing for Jayce. He still would spit up as a tiny baby, but it wasn't constant, or projectile anymore with the medicine. You just pray about everything and if you feel like God is giving you peace about this things, don't worry what other people think. Keeping that baby happy and healthy is your main job!

    PLUS both mine loves the paci. The good news is if you take it away around the one year mark it is not too hard to wean from. A few nights a fussing and they get over it. I just don't think I could parent without the paci! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! Thats really encouraging. And your right about the paci!! It is such a life saver!! And I am like you. I refuse to let my baby run around with a paci in her mouth past one. I am totally at peace with just giving Ainsley formula and actually feel more relieved now! I feel like I can leave the house without worrying about when she is going to eat and can spend more time with her instead of just watching her eat for an hour and then worrying about her spitting up because she didnt get enough! so his has been a learning experience. I am just glad she got what she need the first few weeks, which is mainly the colostrum.

    ReplyDelete

I like comments, so go ahead and leave one!